Friday, February 6, 2015

Prompts

Week 1

I am a traveler. I have lived in three different countries, and three different states. Not only have I lived in amazing places I have also just been fortunate enough to travel for pleasure. I have been to over 20 countries and seen things most people won't ever get to see. My dad is in the tv industry so to say we've lived/seen some amazing places in an understatement. I was born and raised in London till the age of 10, in between I lived in LA for a year, and Spain for 8 months. At the age of 10 I moved to the mainline (the suburbs of philly), and just a couple months ago I moved to New York. What does it mean to be a traveller? Well I would consider myself multi cultural, I would say I look at things in a different way and I would say I can adjust to new situations gracefully (since I have had a lot of practice at being new). Although all of the above sounds peachy, I have had a tremendous amount of loss in my life. Living half way around the world from all of your family minus your immediate family is and was a major obstacle. I also have left behind a lot of friends along the way, which for a young girl is basically the end of the world. For the most part I wouldn't change being a traveler, because as they say everything happens for a reason.

Week 2 

It was my first day of school in America. I turned up in a funky European outfit while my peers were dressed primarily head to toe in Abercrombie and Fitch. Just from the first moment I stepped into the classroom I knew I didn't fit in. My voice was masked with a thick British accent while all my classmates had high pitched american voices. All the girls were already friends. When it got to lunch time I made my way over to a group of girls who seemed nice. My dad had packed me a lunchable for lunch as a treat and I remember offering up the peanut butter cup since I have always hated peanut butter. The girl next to me thought I was offering up my entire lunch and snatched it from my hands. All I wanted was my lunchable since it was something we never had in london and I was so excited about it, but I was the new girl I couldn't say no. I spent the rest of lunch in silence.

Week 3

Female body image among college students
1.Are you satisfied when you look in the mirror?

2.How has the way you view your body changed since being in college?

3.Do you think body image is an issue on college campuses?

4.How can we change the way girls view their bodies?

5.Have your eating habits changed since being a college student? If so, how/why?

6. What is the overall attitude on campus about girl’s body image?

7. What expectations do you think girls have of themselves, and what expectation do

you think the opposite sex has for girl’s bodies?

8. Where/who does the pressure come from?

9.  Would you say you are confident about your body?

10. What do all the above say about your identity?
Week 4 

            Some would argue that body image isn’t an identity, but for females the way we feel in our skin is everything. How we feel we look on the outside definitely affects the way we feel on the inside and as a result, alters the way we portray ourselves. Female body image is and I believe always will be an issue among women. As humans we are wired with a competitive nature. We want to be the best, and will do anything to be so. For males body image tends to not hold such importance but for females vanity tends to hold priority. Growing up in a generation who is heavily influenced by social media, girls are constantly being polluted by unobtainable images. The media sets unrealistic goals for females, making the average girl constantly doubt herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment